8 April 2011

What do your music choices say about you?

A quick personal anecdote. A good friend of mine is in his twenties and I shared some of my music recently. His reaction: this is OLD music!


Instinctively I got rather defensive. No, I said, it's not 'old' music it's simply great quality music. It just happens to come from a few years back, that's all. Only later did I recognise my own 'old brain' thinking. Yes, I love all the music on my iphone and yes it is all high quality to my ears. BUT. Most of it dates from the last century.


So, what do my musical choices reveal? Is it possible that no quality music has been released over the last decade? Rather unlikely. The hard lesson is that my choices said something rather hurtful about me: I'd somehow closed down, stopped being open to new influences, preferred to live in a nostalgic past than head for tomorrow's world.


So, now my earphones are buzzing to lots of great new stuff: it was out there all the time - I just had to be 'young brained' enough to be receptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment