9 July 2009

Everyone wants to rejuvenate

The desire to be younger has, in some quarters, got a bad name. Some think this urge is about total vanity. Others think you should accept your lot and just grow old with dignity. Both are wrong.

Wanting to be young again has little to do with narcissism and everything to do with staying relevant and giving your all in the short time we have on earth. It's about welcoming change, being open to others, taking risks and having fun along the way. It's also about caring for your own personal growth so that you can help others more effectively.

A few weeks ago, Tim Drake and I presented the main findings of our two year analysis on personal rejuvenation to a high level business audience in Manchester. All were in agreement. Being successful in business, as in life, needs young thinking - it needs leaders to have Young Brains.

One company director, only 38 years old, spoke up. "I consider myself young, especially compared to others around me. I now realise that I, myself, have got older than I thought. There is definitely room for me to rejuvenate".

But it's not only business people who benefit from rejuvenation. Tim and I also spoke to a well-known millionaire who said to us: " I think the concept is brilliant. I have a relatively young brain but it is getting younger by the day now!"

Meanwhile, we have given our book 'You Can Be As Young As You Think' to two long-time BBC TV presenters, Mark Ellen (Old Grey Whistle Test) and Peter Duncan (Blue Peter). Both are Young Brains. And both agree with rejuvenation to such an extent that they've gracefully written respective recommendations on the back cover of our book.

So wanting to be young is not about egotistical vanity. People want and need to rejuvenate - be they business persons, millionaires, celebrities or, indeed, people like you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment